Saturday, January 8, 2022

Sydney Poitier The Definition of a Man of Charactor



Where in this video, this man not only defended his "Negroness", he defined it and affirmed it with immovable dignity and strength. The lasting enduring impact of the imagery and poignancy of the Sydney Poitier of my life is as a girl in the Caribbean at 16 years and seeing a man in a role that helped to powerfully mentor, support, encourage and shape lives, as he did in the film To Sir with Love. 

More importantly, he spoke to each of us in a very personal way, that there was no one, nor anything that could inhibit, deconstruct, derail or deny us our identity. Among many during those years, Sydney Poitier embodied, the soul of personhood, from his Bahamian accent to the roles he portrayed, he inspired and lifted communities, especially young black impressionable lives to be as great as, or even be the best of who we were created to become. 

Here is my Ode To Sir with Love Sidney Poitier 

Those school days of telling tales And biting nails are gone 
And as I leave I know it will still live on and on 
But how do you thank someone Who has taken you from crayons to perfume 
It isn't easy but I'll try 
If you wanted the moon I would try to make the stars 
But I would rather you let me give my heart 
To Sir with Love 

It was the last year of my High School in 1972. 
At St Theresa's Girls Intermediate..and etched in my memory was our class of an eclectic group of young girls..with little more or perhaps everything..friendships for life

 And the movie To Sir with Love starring Sidney Poiter was the main actor.   And in his portrayal, he symbolized the gift of being.   He was a role model.   He shone a light for the world to see the character and not color.   

And the theme song of the movie..is my high school girls anthem 

Because a teacher..shared her gift of self.  A part of history never to be forgotten.   Forever remembered .  To Sir with Love. Rise in Glory...Rest in Peace Sydney Poitier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent

Popular Posts