𝗪𝗛𝗘𝗡 𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗖𝗘 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘𝗦 𝗪𝗔𝗟𝗞𝗦 𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗢 𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗜𝗗𝗔𝗗 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗧𝗢𝗕𝗔𝗚𝗢’𝗦 𝗠𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗔 𝗣𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗬𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗪
Grace Notes | Reflection and Commentary
When Grace Notes Walks Into Trinidad and Tobago’s Media Pappyshow
By Grace Caroline Walker
Grace Notes in Context
Real talk. Deep reflection. Revealed truths. Because the story does not end in the headlines. It begins in understanding.
There are days when I deliberately stay away from this keyboard because I know that once I begin writing, I will first have to sit with myself.
Today is one of those days.
I find myself living more and more in a place of observation and reflection. It has become less a habit than an address where I now seem to reside. I revisit my now with the same curiosity that I revisit old photographs, trying to understand what has changed, what has remained, and what has quietly settled into the architecture of my thinking. Before I write about the world, I find myself negotiating with what the world has deposited inside me.
This morning, I fully intended to write again about the Hadeeds. In my last Grace Notes, I made it about how one man appeared to become the key to both the detention and the recent release of Dominic Hadeed, Genevieve Hadeed, and their aunt, Starr. I found myself talking out loud, as I often do, about how a former police officer turned minister had, in the public imagination, become the great purveyor of detention and then the great purveyor of freedom.
Since then, Starr has become the story. A private telephone conversation has escaped whatever boundaries privacy once afforded it, and the recording and transcript have taken on a life of their own across the Trinidad and Tobago media circuit. Every mouthpiece appears ready to extract one more headline, one more interpretation, one more performance of certainty from what was, at its origin, a private exchange.
The Hadeed saga is no longer simply occupying the news. It is active PRIME TIME. The theatre of Trinidad and Tobago’s characters—from government and opposition parties to media mouthpieces and social media sycophants—is now a full national production. Every private recording becomes a premiere, every transcript becomes another script, and every talking head arrives camera-ready to perform certainty. The law is somewhere backstage while the personalities, the provocation, and the pappyshow command the stage.
Somewhere along the way, I stopped asking what was actually happening in the legal matter and found myself witnessing something far more unsettling. I was no longer observing only a case. I was watching a society consume itself. The law had become theatre, politics had become performance, and public discourse had become an endless competition for the next microphone, the next livestream, the next viral clip, and the next proclamation delivered before an audience equally captivated by outrage and exhaustion.
That is not to suggest that difficult questions should not be asked. Quite the contrary. Governments must be questioned. Extraordinary powers must be examined. The administration of justice deserves the closest public scrutiny. But there is a profound difference between examining the law and entertaining ourselves with the spectacle that grows around it. Somewhere in that collision, the seriousness of justice becomes eclipsed by the appetite for performance.
This Is Why the Alexanders Enter My Reflection
Phillip Alexander occupies his familiar space within the Trinidad and Tobago political and social media landscape, where commentary, accusation, performance, and provocation frequently merge into one continuous broadcast. One phrase from him has remained with me. In describing another minister, he chose to emphasize that the man came from a “poor white family.” The phrase lodged itself in my mind because it revealed, to me, how swiftly political discourse can slide away from policy, law, or competence and descend into ancestry, class, complexion, and inherited identity as weapons of public exchange.
I have also encountered public remarks from Phillip Alexander that I personally regard as demeaning toward women, all publicly delivered and permanently receipted across the internet. And so, when I hear this self-appointed political entertainer again take possession of the microphone, I do not experience enlightenment. I experience the fatigue of watching spectacle repeatedly rewarded as substance.
Then there is Roger Alexander, whose policing background and ministerial authority have placed him centrally within the public narration of the Hadeed detention and release. To my eyes, the question is not simply whether one man held authority. It is how the public story came to position him as both the face of confinement and, later, the apparent bearer of release. The institutions themselves recede while the personality becomes the headline.
That is the radical disconnect that stays with me.
Somewhere between the recordings, the transcripts, the nightly panels, the livestreams, the declarations, and the social media reels, the country has slipped into what I can only describe as full PAPPYSHOW mode. Everybody has become a narrator. Everybody has become an analyst. Everybody has become a prosecutor, defence counsel, constitutional authority, and political strategist. It is who say, she say, how she say, and every imaginable variation in between.
And what makes it so grossly shameful is that nobody appears to have any shame.
As a Trinbagonian looking on from abroad, I confess that what rises in me is not only anger. It is hopeless repulsion. It is weary sadness. The atmosphere feels so saturated with accusation, contrivance, speculation, and performance that even searching for intelligence within it begins to feel like emotional labour.
There are days when I simply do not wish to give chaos permanent residence inside my spirit.
The Mirror Outside My Own Front Door
Then I catch myself, because this is not only Trinidad and Tobago.
The mirror is just as shattered outside my own front door.
America presents its own daily theatre, and anyone who has followed my writing already knows I could produce a whole exegesis on the Trumptonian occupancy of the White House. Different accents. Different flags. Different political costumes. Yet the choreography remains painfully familiar. Public life rewards outrage over understanding, performance over principle, and spectacle over substance.
Returning to the Many Faces of Grace
Perhaps that is why, instead of writing another thousand words dissecting the latest national eruption, I found myself returning to the page I had only recently published—The Many Faces of Grace.
As I reread it, I realized I had unknowingly written it for myself before I ever offered it to anyone else. Every face in that essay was searching for the same thing. Not applause. Not vindication. Not the final word in an argument. Preservation.
The child. The believer. The survivor. The storyteller.
None of them were trying to conquer the world. They were trying to remain whole within it.
And perhaps that is what Grace Notes has quietly become for me. It is not merely a place where I comment on politics, law, history, or current events. It is where I come to reconcile the collisions between memory and public life, between chaos and clarity, between what the world demands that I consume and what my spirit is capable of carrying.
So today, I choose Grace.
Not the grace of avoidance.
The grace of preservation.
The grace to step away from the media carnival long enough to hear my own thoughts again.
If today’s headlines have left you carrying the same fatigue, I extend this invitation. Come wander through Grace Notes for a little while. There are conversations there about family, memory, faith, history, survival, identity, and all the quiet intersections that shape who we become.
Perhaps together we can exchange spectacle for reflection, outrage for understanding, and the pappyshow of the day for something quieter, steadier, and more enduring.
Because sometimes the greatest act of self-preservation is not looking away from the world. It is remembering not to lose yourself while looking at it.
Grace Notes Endnotes
Read More From Grace Notes
These related essays continue the conversations on constitutional power, Trinidad and Tobago, civic courage, America, public identity, resilience, and the necessity of preserving hope.
The Free Hadeed Saga — Roger Alexander and Executive Power
A Grace Notes examination of preventive detention, executive authority, release, and the public framing of the Hadeed case.
Trinidad and Tobago’s Economic, Tourism and Global Identity
A wider reflection on governance, investment, tourism, national capacity, and the direction of Trinidad and Tobago.
When Courage Wears a Uniform
A reflection on constitutional duty, conscience, patriotism, and courage during America’s 250th anniversary.
Washington Reflecting Pool — When the Scum Rises, the Mirror Reveals the Nation
A Grace Notes meditation on symbolism, public decay, national reflection, and what a country’s mirror reveals.
Victories Won, Defeats Surrendered — But Never Hope
An earlier Grace Notes reflection on struggle, endurance, defeat, victory, and the refusal to surrender hope.
Comments
Post a Comment